You're seeing this message because you're using an older version of Internet Explorer that is unsupported on our website. Please use these links to upgrade to a modern web browser that fully supports our website and protects your computer from security risks.
1898 Townspeople raised the money to buy Beall’s Park—a two-acre site—for the State Normal School.
1900 Old Main—the first campus building—was completed.
1902 Fifty-seven students attended the first classes of the State Normal School at Frostburg. We offered a two year program of elementary school teacher training.
1904 Our first commencement. Students received a diploma and a lifetime teaching certificate.
1913 The Model School began operating in its new building. This was our first campus training school which allowed student teachers to work directly with children in the classroom.
1919 We opened our first residence hall.
1930 A sixroom training school for student teachers replaced the 1913 Model School.
1931 Our teacher training program expanded from two to three years, and then from three to four years in 1934.
1935 ** The institution’s name changed to State Teachers’ College at Frostburg.
1946 The college first offered a liberal arts junior college program. This degree was discontinued in 1960 when four year programs replaced it.
1947 We completed our first science building. It was followed by the Garrett Science Building in 1952, the Tawes Science Hall and Planetarium in 1968 and the Compton Science Center in 2003.
1949-50 50th Anniversary Year
1950-51 The State Legislature funded a 40-acre expansion to our campus and 5 new buildings.
1959 The new teacher-training laboratory school was completed and named after State Superintendent of Schools Thomas G. Pullen. It continued operating as an elementary school until 1976.
1960 The Board of Trustees granted Frostburg State Teachers College the right to confer the Bachelor of Arts degree and the Master of Education.
1961 Our first black student (Leon Brumback) graduated.
1963 In July, we became Frostburg State College.
1964-79 We experienced significant growth during these fifteen years. Six residence halls were completed as well as eleven campus buildings including the Chesapeake Dining Hall, Framptom Hall, Fine Arts, Dunkle Hall, Lane Center, the Lewis J. Ort Library, the Physical Education Center, Hitchins Administration Building, and the Stangle Service Building.
1971 The Master of Science in Management Degree was first offered. This degree was replaced by the MBA in 1989.
1975 The Appalachian Environmental Laboratory—part of the Center for Environmental and Estuarine Studies of the University System of Maryland—opened on our campus.
1986 The Nelson P. Guild Center was completed to house the Social Sciences and Business programs.
1987 Under the leadership of President Herb. F. Reinhard, Jr., Frostburg State College became Frostburg State University in July.
1988 ** We joined the University System of Maryland which is comprised of 11 of the State’s 4-year institutions and two research institutions.
1989 The first FSU Medallion was presented to Lewis J. Ort. Our second recipient was Governor William Donald Schaefer in 1990 and Gerald Arpino in 1994.
1990 The Frederick MBA program opened.
1991 Dr. Catherine Gira became the second woman president of our institution. Lillian C. Compton served as president from 1945-55.
1994 The Performing Arts Center was completed. On April 24, The Joffrey Ballet performed in the new Center in celebration of its debut on our campus 37 years ago.
1995 Bell Atlantic distance education classrooms were installed at Frostburg and the Hagerstown Center.
1998 The University celebrates its Centennial with a year-long series of events.
1999 The Center for Environmental Science’s new Appalachian Laboratory building opens.
2000 FSU was the first-ever recipient of the Corporation for National Service’s Higher Education Award for Leadership in National Service.
2001 Groundbreaking for Allegany Business Center at FSU.
2002 Gunter Hall renovated and reopens.
2003 Compton Science Center and Edgewood Commons apartment complex open.
2005 FSU offers programs at the new University System of Maryland at Hagerstown.
2006 Dr. Jonathan C. Gibralter becomes the 14th president of Frostburg State University.
2008 First building, FSU Research Center, opens in ABC@FSU.
2012 First doctorate degree offered; FSU named “College of Distinction”; Sustainable Energy Research Facility (SERF) dedicated.