When helping your son/daughter prepare for college there are many items one might consider bringing. Here are some suggestions:
General Room Items:
- Metal or UL-listed plastic waste paper basket
- Alarm clock (with Battery Back-up)
- Posters, or other decorating items with hanging devices:
- thumb tacks for Cambridge, Westminster, Frederick and Frost Halls
- double-sided tape or "fun-tack" for all other halls.
- Telephone with a ringer cut-off option, 12 foot cord suggested
- Cell phone and charger, or phone card to make toll calls from room
- 1 or 2 power strips with circuit breakers and/or surge protector for computer, electronics, etc.
- Small flashlight, extra batteries
- Games: a deck of playing cards, board games, etc.
- Sports equipment: football, volleyball, basketball, tennis racket, roller blades, etc.
- Area rug (6’ by 9’ is usually sufficient)
- Message board for your door (dry-erase/bulletin board)
- Basic tools – Screwdriver, pliers, hammer, multi-use tool
- Portable shelves/Stacking storage units
- Office chair for the desk (a straight back chair is provided and must remain in the room)
- Room decorations
- Full-length mirror
- Television and cable TV cord
- Small stereo, compact disk player, iPod, VCR, DVD, or radio
- DVD movies, CDs, video games, headphones, batteries
- Digital camera or camera with plenty of film, and a photo album
- Bike and bike lock (must be stored outside or in available bike lockers, not in student room)
Clothes and Linens Items:
- Selection of clothes for season (cold weather clothes could be brought later in the Fall)
- Rain gear/umbrella, boots, coat, jacket, swimsuit, sports workout clothes
- Bed sheets (extra-long twin size for Frederick, Westminster, Frost, Simpson and Cambridge halls; twin size for all other halls), egg-crate or memory foam mattress pad, pillow, bedspread, and blankets
- Each hall has a laundry room with many washers and dryers available at no cost to the residents. These high-efficiency washers and dryers are provided by the Mac Gray Corporation (www.mac-gray.com) and use the LaundryView (www.laundryview.com) system which allows students to monitor the status of their laundry from their room via a computer.
- Laundry basket (mesh, pop-up)/duffel bag, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets
- Clothes stain remover, clothes hangers, iron and table-top ironing board
Health and Beauty Supplies:
- Towels and washcloths (at least two sets of each)
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, deodorant, mouthwash, and facial tissues
- First-aid kit, including bandages and over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin, Tylenol, or ibuprofen; other medications, vitamins
- Shampoo, soap and a soap dish, and a tote to carry bathroom essentials to and from the shower; shower shoes, hair dryer, curling iron
- Desk lamp with metal shade
- Computer, if you have one; Ethernet cable (twisted pair)
- Printer and printer paper, USB cable, flash drive
- Pens, pencils, highlighters, scotch and masking tape, scissors, ruler, paper clips, stapler,three-hole punch, rubber bands, note cards, post-it notes; scotch, masking, and duct tape
- Notebooks, folders, binders, calculator, backpack/book bag, ruler
- Planner/calendar/organizer/PDA, envelopes, postage stamps
Kitchen and Cleaning Items:
- Utensils (knife, fork, spoon), cup, plate, bowl
- Dish soap, paper towels, trash can and trash bags, Ziploc bags
- Air freshener
- Bottled water, snacks and soft drinks
- Include Residence Hall Room on Home Owners' Insurance,Bring insurance card/health insurance information
- All necessary papers: financial aid forms, class schedule, campus map
The following items are ones that the Residence Life Office does not allow or permit students to bring. Should a student be found to have the following items within their residence hall room they could face judicial reprimands.
DO NOT BRING:
- Gasoline, kerosene, ether, paints, propane ro other volatile liquids
- Open flame sources such as sterno, candles, incense, etc.
- Overstuffed furniture (e.g. stuffed chairs, couches, bean bag chairs)
- Open-coiled appliances such as toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates. Students may use items such as George Foreman grills within the residence hall kitchens. Items withouth open coils are permitted with student rooms.
- Students are also cautioned not to hang items from ceiling fixtures, pipes, exit lights, smoke detectors, etc.