The Frostburg State University Center for Creative Writing announces its fourth annual One-Act Playwriting Competition to showcase new works.
Writers are encouraged to submit their one-act plays (with a running time of 40-minutes or less) to the center by April 15, 2014. Entries will be judged on plot, character development, dialogue and overall quality.
The first prize winner will receive $750 and production of his or her play at the Frostburg One-Act Playwriting Festival to be held in September. Second and third prize winners will receive $250 and $100, respectively, and staged readings of their works.
FSU is committed to making all of its programs, services and activities accessible to persons with disabilities. To request accommodations through the ADA Compliance Office, call 301-687-4102 or use a Voice Relay Operator at 1-800-735-2258.
2014 Frostburg One-Act Playwriting Competition
FSU Center for Creative Writing Announces Fifth Annual Playwriting Competition
FROSTBURG--The Frostburg State University Center for Creative Writing announces its fifth annual One-Act Playwriting Competition to showcase new works.
Writers are encouraged to submit their one-act plays (with a running time of 40 minutes or less) to the center by Tuesday, April 15. Entries will be judged on plot, character development, dialogue and overall quality.
The first prize winner will receive $750 and production of his or her play at the Frostburg One-Act Playwriting Festival to be held on the FSU campus in September. Second and third prize winners will receive $250 and $100, respectively, and staged readings of their works.
Plays will be judged on the following criteria:
- Character Development
- Overall writing quality
Winning entries will all receive cash prizes and either production (first prize) or staged readings (second and third prizes) as determined by the judges. This playwriting competition is being held in accordance with The Frostburg Center for Creative Writing's mission to provide a variety of opportunities in the literary arts.
Submissions deadline: April 15th, 2014
Playwrights are limited to two (2) submissions.
How to Submit:
Please read and follow our submission guidelines. Submissions that are incomplete or do not follow these guidelines will be disqualified. To enter your play, you must submit the following:
(1) Three (3) hard copies of your play (we are not accepting electronic submissions at this time).
- Plays should run 40 minutes or less and be written in the proper playwriting format (when in the proper format, running time is approximately one minute per page):
- The first page/title page must contain ONLY THE NAME of your play. NOTE: The author's name should not appear anywhere on the work.
- A list of characters with a brief physical description of each should also be included.
- Each copy of your play should be bound (no hard cover bindings, please). Loose pages or plays without some form of binding will be discarded.
- Plays should contain 8 or fewer actors.
- One person plays are accepted.
- Plays should have simple staging and technical needs.
- Musicals are NOT accepted.
- Previously produced plays are ineligible (however, plays that received staged readings are permitted)
(2) A cover letter with the following information (paper clipped to the front page of your play):
- The name of your play
- Your name full address, full contact information (including your e-mail and phone number)
- A brief synopsis of your play (for publicity purposes if your play is selected)
- A brief biography
(3) A check in the amount of $20 (US dollars) for each play submitted, made payable to: Frostburg State University. Please write "One-Act Competition" in the check's memo line.
The submission package must be sent to:
Frostburg One-Act Playwriting Competition
FSU Center for Creating Writing
Frostburg State University
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg, MD 21532
- Submissions must be postmarked on or before April 15, 2014.
- Registered, certified or hand-delivered mail will not be accepted.
- If you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (business-size - 4" x 9 ½"), you will receive your play evaluation forms from our readers at the conclusion of the judging process.
- Plays will NOT be returned and will be recycled.
- The entry fee is nonrefundable.
First Prize: $750 and production of your play.
Second Prize: $250 and a staged reading of your play.
Third Prize: $100 and a staged reading of your play.
The production and staged readings will be held at the Frostburg One-Act Play Festival in September of 2014 at the Palace Theatre in Frostburg.