Master of Arts in Teaching
This program is designed to provide qualified individuals with a master's degree and initial certification in the area of Elementary Education or a Secondary Education content specialization by providing study of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions necessary for effective teachers. This program contains extensive field work in Professional Development School settings and anticipates the full-time enrollment of the candidate. The program presumes a particular sequence of certain research-based courses.
This program is intended to lead to an initial full Maryland certification in Elementary Education or in a Secondary Education content specialization.
Levels of specialization
- Elementary Education
- Secondary/P-12 Education
- To provide candidates with an integrated, quality, and intensive research-driven experience for teacher preparation.
- To provide candidates with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions of highly effective teachers.
- To develop candidates who will demonstrate satisfactory performances of all relevant NCATE, state, and constituent professional association program standards for the specialization area and the expectations of the College of Education's Conceptual Framework.
- To engage candidates in a collaborative experience of staff development and preservice teacher training in Professional Development Schools.
- To make a positive impact on participant schools and on the students attending those schools.
- To involve candidates in deep reflection, research, and problem solving about teaching and learning.
- To continually demand evidence of proficient candidate performance through displays of teaching skills and through documentation of student learning.
- To provide candidates with a broad understanding of acquisition of learning and literacy and the skills to promote effective learning across curricular areas.
- To provide an alternative avenue of initial certification and induction into teaching for individuals with a bachelor's degree in fields other than education.
Elementary MAT Coordinator: Dr. Jamelyn Tobery-Nystrom / Phone: 240/527-2735 / Office: Room 306 USMH
Secondary/PreK-12 MAT Coordinator: Dr. Marcia Cushall / Phone: 301/687-4308 / Office: Room 121 Framptom Hall