Elementary MAT Program Description
Program Entry and Exit Requirements
Program entry is a three-step process as described below.
Step I: Screening Process
Must meet minimum academic requirements for admission. The application deadline is March 1. Applicants may be accepted upon completion of the admissions requirements.
Step II: Submission of Entry Portfolio
The MAT Screening Committees review applicant portfolios. Applicants must demonstrate in their entry portfolio how they possess intellectual, personal, and professional qualities. The portfolio is the candidate's opportunity to demonstrate, in the best possible way, how he/she possesses these qualities.
Applicants must include evidence of qualifications organized in six attributes: Dedicated Professional, Leader (Instructional Leader), Continuous Assessor, Collaborative Bridge Builder, Educational Advocate, and Reflective Decision-maker. The portfolio must contain at least one artifact for each attribute.
Step III: In-Person Assessment
Selected applicants will be invited to participate in the In-Person Assessments.
- Successful presentation of the entrance portfolio and clear articulation of reasons for entering teaching are presented in an Entrance Interview that shall be conducted by members of the educational community. Interview team members may include: FSU faculty, Professional Development School administrators and teachers, county administrators, and/or former Master of Arts in Teaching candidates.
- Following the in-person assessment and submission of passing Praxis I, SAT, ACT, or GRE scores, applicants will receive written notice regarding acceptance into the program from the Office of Graduate Services.
- Applicants for the In-Person Assessment will be scheduled by the Program Coordinator and notification will be sent through the Office of Graduate Services or the FSU@USMH administrative assistant.
Program exit and recommendation for certification are contingent upon the following:
- Successful completion of all course work.
- Successful completion of all practicum experiences.
- Successful completion of the research requirement.
- Successful completion of the Exit Portfolio presentation.
- Successful attainment and documentation of the Maryland Teacher Technology Standards.
- Evidence of having taken the appropriate Praxis II content and pedagogy tests.
- Completion of program with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher in the graduate program.
- Approval of the MAT Assessment Committee.