General Admission Requirements
The Educational Professions Department offers an Early Childhood/Elementary education major, an Elementary Education major, and approved teacher education programs in Secondary Education and K-12 Education. All of the programs lead to eligibility for certification in Maryland. Candidates must complete application for each phase of the program. The program admission requirements by program phase are listed below.
- EDUC 100 students are required to be certified free of TB prior to fieldwork.
Phase I Admission Requirements (Program Entrance)
- Completion of at least 45 credit hours.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (including all grades from transfer institutions).
- Passing grade on PRAXIS I as established by the state of Maryland.
- C or above in ENGL 101/111.
- Twenty (20) documented hours of working with diverse populations.*
- Declaration of a major. Transfer students must indicate intended major at transfer institutions.
- Successful completion of technology inventory.*
- Certified free of TB.
- Completion of consent and release form.**
Additional Phase I Requirements for Early Childhood/Elementary and Elementary Education Majors
- C or above in MATH 206.
- Grade of C or above in EDUC 100.
- Declaration of specialization.
Additional Phase I Requirements for Secondary and K-12 Majors
- C or above in the basic math requirement.
- Grade of C or above in EDUC 100 (Secondary only).
Phase II Admission Requirements
- Completion of at least 60 credit hours (Junior standing).
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (including final grade point averages from transfer institutions).
- C or better in each of the Phase I courses designated by program.
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 in each of the Phase I courses designated by program.
- GPA of 2.5 in major (K-12/secondary only).
- Grade of P in EDUC 200.
- Grade of C or better in ENGL 308 or equivalent.
- Completion of at least one course in each of groups A,B,C and D of the Liberal Arts Component of the GEP.
- Positive recommendation of advisor.
- Seventy-five percent or 18 credits of content major or specialization completed with study plan submitted to the Office of Unit Assessment.
- Grade of C or better in MATH 207 (ECE/ELEM and ELEM majors).
Admission Requirements for Professional Development Schools
- Successful completion of EDUC 307 (ECE/ELEM and ELEM majors).
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- GPA of 2.5 in major with no grade less than C in Block I courses.
- Successful completion of a collaborative entrance interview into a PDS.
Phase III Admission Requirements
- Completion of at least 90 credit hours (senior standing).
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.60
- GPA of at least 2.75 in all required education courses.
- GPA of at least 2.75 in content major or area of specialization.
- Grade of C or better in each Phase II course.
- Successful completion of Phase II field work.
- Approval of Coordinator of Field Experiences.
Program Exit Requirements
- Successful presentation of a portfolio that meets standards.
- Passing score on PRAXIS II as established by the state of Maryland.
* According to departmental format.
** Confirming that candidate is free of convictions that would disqualify him/her form obtaining certification in Maryland.
Click here to view the summary of requirements for a course of study offered by the Educational Professions department. (Education: Early Childhood/Elementary Program, Education: Elementary Program, Education: K-12 Programs, and Education: Secondary Programs.)