Catherine R. Gira Campus to Community Awards
The purpose of the fund is to support students or student projects that demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit, critical thinking skills, and a determination to be successful. The activities will not only benefit students, but also further enhance Frostburg’s role as a leader in the promotion of real-life experiences that complement traditional classroom instruction. Ultimately, these experiences will help to nurture students who are prepared for the workplace in an increasingly competitive, global economy.
Award amounts may vary but can range from $500 to $2,000 depending upon the project and scope.
Proposals for awards should fall into one or more of the following general categories.
- LEADERSHIP: To support student leadership projects and programs. To include but not be limited to training programs, workshops, conferences, retreats, undergraduate research and other opportunities of a similar nature.
- ALUMNI CONNECTIONS: To support students or groups of students in alumni mentoring or other programs of a similar nature.
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: To promote, encourage and assist in the FSU community and volunteer services program. Funding may assist students and/or groups of students with off-campus housing, transportation, supplies, materials, and/or other costs associated with an approved FSU community service project. Examples include, but are not limited to, spring or summer recess projects, emergency disaster relief projects and other projects as deemed acceptable by the committee.
- INTERNSHIPS: To support FSU-sponsored internship programs, including but not limited to placement of interns in Annapolis or Washington, DC. Funding is intended to help student interns meet off-campus housing and transportation costs, thereby helping to ensure that students accepted as interns have the resources needed to participate in the program. Other academic programs may qualify for application as determined by the committee, such as education, social work, recreation, business and other academic areas.
- STUDY ABROAD: To support students in the FSU Study Abroad program or other programs approved and recognized by the University for similar study. Funding will assist students and/or groups of students to meet off-campus housing and transportation costs associated with approved FSU study abroad programs.