Seven recognized Frostburg State University fraternities and sororities raised an impressive $9,506 for seven charities as part of FSU’s Homecoming festivities this past weekend.
For the fourth year in a row, candidates for Frostburg State University’s Homecoming King and Queen and the organizations they represent raised money for charities as a way to earn the Homecoming crown. The money was raised within a 30-day time frame.
• Alexandra Cozart, representing Delta Zeta, was crowned Homecoming Queen. Her organization raised more than $3,900 for the County United Way.
• Matt Byars, representing Tau Kappa Epsilon, was crowned Homecoming King. His organization raised more than $1,100 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
Other candidates and the amounts they raised:
• Roya Zarpak, representing Alpha Gamma, raised more than $1,700 for the Dove Center of Garrett County.
• Stacey Hill, representing Alpha Sigma Tau, raised more than $1,500 for the Garrett County Habitat for Humanity.
• Alexander Haslacker, representing Pi Lambda Pi, raised more than $500 for the March of Dimes.
• Patrick Simpson, representing Phi Mu Delta, raised more than $300 for the Union Rescue Mission.
• Justin Underwood, representing Sigma Tau Gamma, raised more than $200 for the American Cancer Society.
In addition to efforts by the Homecoming courts, students, alumni and FSU employees continued the Happy Hats Homecoming service project. Now in its third year, the Happy Hats program creates soft, jester-like hats that will be given to critically ill children in such places as pediatric intensive care units, burn centers and hospices.
Finally, as has been a tradition at FSU for a number of years, students affiliated with a number of campus groups fanned out through the neighborhood adjoining the campus Sunday afternoon for the Big Event, a Frostburg City Clean Up. It was sponsored by the FSU Student Government Association.
For more information about FSU, visit the website at www.frostburg.edu.
For further information on this release, contact:
Office of News and Media Services
Frostburg State University
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg, MD 21532-2303