Eight recognized Frostburg State University fraternities and sororities raised a total of $6,887 for eight charities as part of FSU’s Leadership and Homecoming festivities this year.
For the sixth year in a row, candidates for Frostburg State University’s Homecoming King and Queen and the organizations they represent raised money for charities as a way to support local and national organizations in need of financial support.
The candidates who raised the most money were selected for interviews by the Homecoming Committee. The money was raised by students within a 30-day time frame. After the interview process, the student body was given a chance to vote for the King and Queen during the weeks leading up to Leadership and Homecoming Weekend. The winners were selected based on the student popular vote and were crowned at the Bobcat Growl on Oct. 31, which kicked off the Homecoming festivities.
Erica Gourdine, representing Delta Zeta, was crowned 2010 Homecoming Queen, raising $2,265.20 for the American Cancer Society. Steve Weatherholt of Pi Lambda Phi was crowned 2010 Homecoming King. His organization raised $218 for the Animal Welfare Society.
In addition to reigning over the Leadership and Homecoming Weekend, the King and Queen received the Foundation Royalty Award, $250 each given to them by the FSU Foundation, Inc.
Other participants for the 2010 Homecoming Court were:
• Jennifer Gover of Alpha Sigma Alpha, who raised $1,027 for the Special Olympics
• Amy Lepter of Alpha Sigma Tau, who raised $1,215 for Habitat for Humanity
• Rebecca Clevenger of Kappa Beta Gamma, who raised $361.66 for the Tristate Zoological Park
• Louis Mozzano of Delta Chi, who raised $391 for the Western Maryland Food Bank
• Cheyenne Hillsgrove of Phi Mu Delta, who raised $715 for Toys for Happiness
• Steven Dittmer of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, who raised $218 for the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program
• Henry Keith of Sigma Tau Gamma, who raised $265 for the American Breast Cancer Society
For further information on this release, contact:
Office of News and Media Services
Frostburg State University
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg, MD 21532-2303