Lose yourself in the light-hearted laughter and magic of children’s literature when Frostburg State University’s Cultural Events Series and TheatreworksUSA present “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie & Other Story Books” at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3, in the Pealer Recital Hall of the Performing Arts Center located on the Frostburg campus.
This sparkling musical revue based on eight popular children’s books provides a full hour of enchantment for children, with enough intelligence and imagination to entertain adults as well. Ten musical skits tell stories from childhood favorites in a revue that appeals to a broad and diverse audience:
- “Amazing Grace” follows young Grace as she attempts to break stereotypes in an effort to play the title character in her school's production of “Peter Pan.” Based on “Amazing Grace” by Mary Hoffman, adapted by Kirsten Childs (author of “The Bubbly Black Girl” and Kleban Award winner)
- "Borreguita and the Coyote" is the classic Mexican tale of a little lamb, or borreguita, who uses her wits to escape a hungry coyote. Based on “Borreguita and the Coyote” by Verna Aardema, adapted by Robert J. Lopez and Jeffrey Marx (songwriters of the Best Musical Tony Award winner “Avenue Q”
- In “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie,” a boy shares his snack with a hungry, demanding mouse, and learns a hilarious lesson about cause-and-effect. Based on “If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” by Laura Joffe Numeroff, adapted by Jeremy Desmon and Patrick Dwyer
- In "Imogene’s Antlers," young Imogene is delighted to wake up with "cool" antlers, but soon discovers that her parents and school principals do not share her enthusiasm. Based on “Imogene's Antlers” by David Small, adapted by Lopez and Marx
- “Martha Speaks” is the adventurous tale of a family dog who literally becomes outspoken after dining on alphabet soup. Based on “Martha Speaks” by Susan Meddaugh, adapted by Arthur Perlman and Jeffrey Lunden (Gilman & Gonzalez-Falla and Jonathan Larson Foundation Award-winners)
- Based on a Nigerian tall tale, “Master Man” concerns a man with muscles as big as his ego, who earns his comeuppance when he claims to be the strongest man in the world. Based on “Master Man” by Aaron Shepard, adapted by Jordan Allen-Dutton and Erik Weiner (“Bomb-itty of Errors”) and James-Allen Ford
- “Math Curse” playfully addresses the phobia some kids have when tackling seemingly difficult math problems. Based on “Math Curse” by Jon Scieszka, adapted by Mindi Dickstein (lyricist of Broadway’s “Little Women”) and Daniel Messé
- "Owen" just can't bear to part with his beloved blanket, Fuzzy – a problem, since he is about to start kindergarten. Owen’s understanding mother provides a clever solution. Based on “Owen” by Kevin Henkes, adapted by Faye Greenberg and David Evans
Tickets are $10 for the general public, $10 for FSU faculty and staff, $6 for children 17 and younger and $5 for FSU students.
To purchase tickets or for more information about this performance, call the FSU Cultural Events Box Office at (301) 687-3137 or toll free at 1-866-TIXX-CES, or visit online at ces.frostburg.edu. To learn more about TheatreworksUSA, visit www.theatreworksusa.org.
The Frostburg State University Cultural Events Series is supported by a grant from the Maryland State Arts Council, an agency dedicated to cultivating a vibrant cultural community where the arts thrive. An agency of the Department of Business & Economic Development, the MSAC provides financial support and technical assistance to nonprofit organizations, units of government, colleges and universities for arts activities. Funding for the Maryland State Arts Council is also provided by the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency, which believes that a great nation deserves great art.
FSU is committed to making all of its programs, services, and activities accessible to persons with disabilities. You may request accommodations through the ADA Compliance Office at (301) 687-4102, TDD (301) 687-7955.
For further information on this release, contact:
Office of News and Media Services
Frostburg State University
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg, MD 21532-2303