Eight recognized Frostburg State University fraternities and sororities raised an impressive $11,004.25 for eight charities as part of FSU’s Homecoming festivities this past weekend.
For the fifth year in a row, candidates for Frostburg State University’s Homecoming King and Queen and the organizations they represent raised money for charities as a way to support local and national organizations in need of financial support. This year, candidates faced a progressive process. The candidates who raised the most money were selected for interviews by the Homecoming Committee. The money was raised by students within a 30-day time frame. After the interview process, the student body was given a chance to vote for the King and Queen during the week leading up to Leadership and Homecoming Weekend. The winners were selected based on the student popular vote.
Myah Coleman, representing Alpha Sigma Tau was crowned 2009 Homecoming Queen raising $1,430.34 for the Special Olympics. Sean Blaszczyk of Sigma Tau Gamma was crowned 2009 Homecoming King. His organization raised $280 for the American Cancer Society.
Members of the 2009 Homecoming Court were:
• Dylan Shives of Pi Lambda Phi, who raised $390.86 for the March of Dimes.
• Joshua Humelsine of Phi Mu Delta, who raised $500.00 for the Animal Welfare Society of Allegany County.
• Amber MacIntosh of Delta Zeta, who raised $4,802.00 for the Cumberland YMCA.
• Stephanie Gwinn of Alpha Sigma Alpha, who raised $1,401.05 for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Fund.
Preliminary participants were:
• Kristie Lee of Phi Mu, who raised $700 for the Habitat for Humanity.
• Victor Curtis of Tau Kappa Epsilon, who raised $1500 for the Alzheimer’s Association.
As has been a tradition at FSU for a number of years, students affiliated with a number of campus groups fanned out through the neighborhood adjoining the campus Sunday afternoon for the Big Event, a Frostburg City Clean Up. It was sponsored by the FSU Student Government Association.
For more information about FSU, visit the Web site at www.frostburg.edu.