Admissions Requirements & Application Process
The graduate program offers a Master's of Science degree in Recreation & Parks Management and is designed for professionals in the field who want to further their careers. Listed below are those items that you need to include in your application package. You may also obtain the forms from the graduate school.
Program Specific Entrance Requirements:
In addition to the general admission requirements of the graduate school, you are required to meet the criteria below. If there are any deficiency courses, they will be assigned to you by the coordinator upon entry into the program and will be noted on your Study Plan. Where applicable, the appropriate forms for admission are provided below and you can download the forms as an Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) file.
Checklist for Applicants
The program is designed for professionals with experience in the parks and recreation field. Generally, there are three avenues of entry into the program.
1) You should have three years of professional experience in the park and recreation field.
2) Students with a minimum of three years professional experience in allied fields who are interested in making a career shift may also apply. A field experience and/or deficiency courses may be required of these students.
3) Although the program is designed for professionals working in the field, a limited number of recent graduates from baccalaureate programs may be admitted based on the professional experiences of the applicant and on the composition of the students currently in the program.
Three letters of recommendation are required reflecting the student's professional and academic background.
- Career Goals:
The applicant needs to include a statement of career goals and how the master's degree program relates to these goals. Normally, this statement is no longer than one page, single spaced.
The applicant is required to submit a current resume or professional vita as part of the application package.
- Official Transcript(s):
Students should submit an official sealed copy of all prior transcripts that contributed to the completion of the Baccalaureate as well as any graduate level coursework previously taken.
- Completed FSU Graduate Program Application
Students will need to complete the Graduate Program Application.
- Technology Verification Form
Students will need to complete the technology verification form to determine their level of technology awareness and prior experience in addition to their access of a computer, hi-speed connection, and available computer software. This should be reviewed prior to application to ensure the student will be able to adhere to the technology requirements for an on-line program.
- Online Orientation
Students will participate in an online orientation prior to the start of the new cohort. Online orientations are conducted throughout the month of August. A calendar of dates and times will be posted on later than April 1st. Students will also be encouraged to come to campus the day prior to their graduation to present their final projects to the campus community. Although this is encouraged, it is not a requirement of the program.