Advising Transfer Students

When advising transfer students there are a number of key issues to consider:

  • Carefully review the transfer credit evaluation.  It has been prepared in accordance with all University, MHEC, and University System of Maryland policies.
  • If the transfer credit evaluation is identified as “preliminary”, we are anticipating the receipt of another transcript.   Students should request that all final transcripts be sent directly to the Admissions Office.   The Office of Admissions will send updated transfer credit evaluations to advisors.
  • The Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree does not automatically mean the completion of our General Education Program.  The Office of Admissions does a complete evaluation for each applicant.  Any area(s) of the GEP where a student is deficient must be completed at FSU.
  • The Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) requires that GEP courses at Maryland public two-year and four-year institutions be transferred into the General Education Program of the receiving four-year institution.  Each institution in the system defines the courses which are included in their GEP.  We must accept those courses into our GEP, even if they do not naturally fit.  You may see courses on the transfer credit evaluation which are listed as general education, but do not match our program.  Please be advised that in those instances, the Office of Admissions is following MHEC policy.
  • For transfers from Maryland public institutions (two-year and four-year), we are required to accept all passing grades, including “D” grades, in the general education program.  This includes our Basic University Requirements, which mandate “C” grades or better at FSU for native students.  Therefore, we do accept “D’s” in the Basic University Requirements for transfer students from Maryland two-year and four-year public institutions.
  • Students from private or out-of-state institutions are not eligible for the same general education program exceptions as those awarded to students from Maryland public institutions.
  • Individual departments may need to determine proper equivalencies for transfer courses in their major(s).  It is the responsibility of the student to work with the department in question to submit whatever documentation is required to determine the equivalency of transfer courses.
  • Once a student officially enrolls at FSU, the general education program exceptions will not apply for any additional transfer credit.  During any subsequent enrollment at other institutions, students will be required to take courses that have exact equivalents to FSU requirements.  This is relevant particularly to summer and intersession enrollment which requires the “Authorization for Attendance at Another Institution” form.
  • Any special exceptions sought for students must be presented to the Academic Standards Committee.
  • Prior to enrollment, questions pertaining to transfer students should be directed to the transfer coordinator in the Office of Admissions.  After a student enrolls, changes in course equivalencies should be directed to the Registrar’s Office.
  • If students have been admitted to the University without a transferable freshman composition course and/or college-level mathematics course, the staff of PASS evaluates their mastery of skills in English, reading and/or mathematics.  Student scores on the Basic Skills Placement Examinations determine whether they need placement in development courses and enable PASS staff to determine an appropriate placement.
  • If students are transferring a mathematics course, they are encouraged to take the math placement exam if they plan on enrolling in an FSU math course for which they do not have the prerequisites.  If you have questions regarding this matter, contact Programs for Academic Support and Studies (PASS) at 687-4441.