Download our app in the AppStore now!

Download our app in the Play Store now!

View the Mobile Web Version of our app here!

You're seeing this message because you're using an older version of Internet Explorer that is unsupported on our website. Please use these links to upgrade to a modern web browser that fully supports our website and protects your computer from security risks.

Hide this message

FSU Tag Line


Bookmark and Share

Men's Soccer Advances to AMCC Semifinals with Stunning 2-0 Upset of Lake Erie

PAINESVILLE, Ohio – After finding itself outside of the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference playoffs at the beginning of the week, the No. 6 seeded Frostburg State men’s soccer team won its second-straight game and advanced to the semifinals with a 2-0 upset of No. 3 Lake Erie, Saturday afternoon.

The Bobcats (7-10-1) defeated La Roche earlier in the week, 6-0, to earn the sixth and final playoff spot. With the loss, LEC is 10-8-1.

FSU will now travel to No. 2 seeded Penn State Altoona on Wednesday, November 1 for a game at 2:00 pm.

The contest went scoreless through the first 40 minutes until sophomore Gregg Laskow (Plainsboro, N.J./WWP-North) scored what would eventually be the game winner at 40:14. After receiving the ball off a corner kick, sophomore Joe Norton (Baltimore, Md./Mount St. Joseph) passed it to Laskow who placed it over the LEC keeper for the 1-0 lead.

Neither squad found the net over the next four-plus minutes as the game headed into halftime. FSU held the lead in shots at the break, 7-4.

Just 8:49 into the second stanza, FSU added an insurance goal to take a 2-0 edge. Junior Trevor Havey (Eldersburg, Md./Liberty) scored from 18-yards out off an assist from senior Sean Quealy (Massapequa Park, N.Y./Massapequa).

Just like in the first half, Frostburg State held the advantage in shots, 7-2.

Sophomore Jay Herford (Crofton, Md./South River) played the entire game for the Bobcats in net, earning his third win of the season while making five saves. Mike Loparo played all 90 minutes for the Storm stopping seven shots and allowing two goals.

“Despite the bad weather, the guys played good soccer this afternoon and we are ecstatic to be moving on to the semifinals,” said Head Coach Keith Byrnes. “It was a tough game to lose for either team and we are fortunate to come out with a win.”

For further information on this release, contact:

Office of Sports Information
Frostburg State University
101 Braddock Road
Frostburg, MD  21532-2303

Telephone: 301-687-4371
Fax: 301-687-4780