Fall 2020 Plan and Information
COVID-19 Updates and Information

Changes to Undergraduate Course Grading for Spring 2020

How are grades changing this semester?

If undergraduate students choose to, they may select a Pass for Credit (PC) / No Credit (NC) grade for any class, including those converted from in-person to online, except for ENGL 101/111.

Is that the same as Pass/Fail?
No. An NC grade will not impact your GPA, unlike the F in a Pass/Fail. This option also does not count toward the four course P/F limit.

I think I’m getting an A. Do I HAVE to switch?
No. If you want to keep the regular letter grades, you may. Or you may opt to keep letter grades in some classes and receive PC/NC in others.

If I switch to PC/NC grading, how will my course grade be determined?
Your instructor will still submit a grade of A, B, C, D, F, or FX at the end of the semester, based on your overall performance in the course. The Registrar’s Office will then enter a PC grade if you earn an A, B, C, or D, but will enter an NC grade if you earn an F or FX. PC and NC grades will be recorded on your transcript.

If I opt for PC/NC grading, will I still be eligible for the Dean’s List?
To be eligible for the Dean’s List, you must take at least 12 semester hours of regularly graded (A-F) credit and earn a term GPA of at least 3.40. So, for example, if you take 9 regularly graded (A-F) credits, and 3 or 6 credits graded on a PC/NC basis, you will not qualify for consideration.

Can I change my mind once I switch?
No. This decision cannot be reversed.

I’m taking this class for my major/GEP requirement. Can I still choose PC/NC?
Yes. If you receive a PC grade for a course, that course will count for your major. A PC grade will also satisfy any GEP requirement except for ENGL 101/111—you cannot opt for PC/NC grading for this course.

How will a PC or NC grade affect my GPA?
Courses with a PC or NC grade will not be calculated into your cumulative or major GPA.

Will my professor know I’m taking PC/NC?
No, unless the student chooses to tell the professor, your professor will assign a letter grade and the Registrar will change it to PC/NC.

I’m a graduate/doctoral student. Does this apply to me?
No. If you are a graduate student, you should consult your program coordinator to discuss options available to you. The deadline for withdrawing from a graduate course has been extended to Friday, April 17, for the regular semester and second seven-week session.

When do I have to make a decision?
Tuesday, May 12, 2020, the last day of classes. That is also the revised deadline to withdraw from a class with a “W.”

How do I do this?
No later than May 12, 2020, email reginfo@frostburg.edu from your FSU email account, include your student ID and the course(s) (name, number, and section, e.g. MATH 109 001).

What if I have financial aid, scholarships or veterans’ benefits?
Students who are receiving financial aid or scholarships should also contact the Financial Aid Office (fsufinaid@frostburg.edu) to determine any impact a “PC,” “NC,” or “W” grade may have on their financial aid. Those using veterans’ benefits should check with Veterans Services at vets@frostburg.edu.

Read the Provost's complete message