Entering the United States

To enter the United States as a student, you must have the following documents with you at the port of entry:

  • Your passport with a U.S. entry visa
  • The Form I-20 or DS-2019, issued to you by Frostburg State University
  • Your letter of admission to the University and letter from the Center for International Education
  • Evidence of your financial support while in the United States

Be sure to hand carry these documents; DO NOT PACK THEM AWAY IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

U.S. Customs regulations allow you to bring into the county a reasonable amount of your personal effects. There are strict regulations regarding importation of plant materials, animals, and certain food items. Money in the amount of $10,000 or more and items of considerable value must be declared upon entry. If you have questions regarding US Customs Regulations, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country before leaving.

If you intend to bring expensive items such as jewelry, cameras, etc. with you to the U.S. and return to your country with them, you should check to see if they must be registered or declared in some manner when you leave to avoid any questions about payment of duty upon your re-entry.

Depending upon your port of exit, you may be required to check with Customs officials when leaving the U.S..