Obtaining a United States Student Visa

If you need to obtain a United States visa, you should take the following items to the nearest US Consulate or Embassy and complete the application for the appropriate student visa:

  • Form I-20 (for an F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (for a J-1 visa) - furnished to you by Frostburg State University.
  • Documentation of your financial support.
  • Letter of Admission from Frostburg State University.
  • Passport valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of your studies at Frostburg.
You may also be asked for evidence that you have sufficiently strong ties to your home country to ensure that you will return to your home country upon completion of your studies. The US Visa application fee varies from one country to another. If you should experience difficulty in obtaining a visa, please contact the CIE staff and we will assist you if possible. In such cases, you should obtain the fax and telephone numbers of the consulate and the name of the consular official to whom additional information should be sent.