Residency Requirement

Frostburg State University will require all full-time, first-year students (and as of Fall 2020 sophomores) to live in one of the 10 residence halls or the Edgewood Commons apartments. FSU has created this policy in an effort to promote improvement in student success and retention. This policy applies to all first-time FSU students with less than 13 accumulated college credits on the first day of classes for the fall or spring semester.

All full-time, first-year FSU students are required to complete one of two applications: our application to receive housing OR the application for exemption to the residency requirement. To reach either application, use this link and click on "Apply for Housing."

Students may request exemption to this policy according to the following categories:

  • Students living at home with a parent, grandparent, legal guardian, or older sibling in Allegany, Garrett, Mineral, Bedford, or Somerset County on a full-time basis;

  • Students who are either married or in a civil partnership or who have a dependent child of whom they have legal custody and who will be residing with them;

  • Students who have reached the age of 21 prior to the first day of classes;

  • Students with disabilities who cannot be accommodated within one of the residence halls;

  • Students who are veterans or currently in reserve status or National Guard.


  • First-year students must complete either a housing application or an exemption request online. To reach either application, use this link and click on "Apply for Housing." The application for housing at Edgewood Commons is available online.

  • Students who meet any of the above criteria are welcome to apply for housing regardless of status.

  • Students admitted for Fall semester must apply for exemption no later than June 15th.; students admitted after June 15th must apply for exemption within 30 days of payment of the FSU advance fee deposit ($150). Students admitted for Spring semester must apply for exemption no later than January 15.

  • Students who fail to request exemption or to apply for housing by July 15 will be assigned to and billed for a double-occupancy room and for the default meal plan. Students requesting exemption after the deadline date will be subject to an administrative fee of $30.

  • The Housing Release Committee will meet regularly to determine approvals and will communicate decisions within five business days of these meetings. There will be no formal appeal process; the committee’s decision is final.

  • Mid-year exemptions will be not granted for first-year students since the housing contract is in effect for the full academic year.