Students enrolling at Frostburg State will be classified as in-state or out-of-state based on guidelines set by the Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland. This residency classification influences admission, tuition and other charges. Resident status is granted to students who have established permanent residency in Maryland based upon factors like living quarters, Maryland income tax payments, voter registration and a valid driver’s license. The complete Board of Regents’ Policy on Student Residency Classification, which fully explains the policy and the procedures for establishing in-state residency, is reprinted in this catalog’s chapter on policies and is available on the Board of Regents website.

Classification of Status

Residency status is determined for first-time entering students by the Office of Admissions. Students seeking a review of their residency status will be required to respond to a petition available through the Office of Admissions.

Reclassification of Status

After a minimum of one semester, an out-of-state student may petition the Registrar's Office to be reclassified to in-state. The Registrar's Office cannot retroactively reclassify residency status. The petition must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by the end of the drop/add period for the semester they seek in-state status. If the petition is denied, there is an option of filing an appeal. The petition for change in classification can be obtained from the Registrar's Office or at the following link.

Petition for Change in Classification for Tuition

Regional Tuition Rate

Frostburg State University offers reduced tuition to residents of Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and Ohio who live within a 120-mile radius of campus.  You can check the map HERE to see if you are within the zone.  After a minimum of one semester, if your address changes to within the regional tuition zone you may petition the Registrar’s Office to be reclassified for regional tuition.  You will need the following:

  1. A letter requesting to be changed to the regional tuition rate.
  2. A copy of a photo ID
  3. A copy of one of the following:  A utility bill, taxes, lease or deed with the student’s name and address included.  If the students name in not listed on one of these documents, please provide the document accompanied by a notarized letter from the person’s name appearing on the document specifying the address and the dates of occupancy. 

You may return this information to the Registrar’s Office, where your request will be reviewed and if approved, your residency will be changed to the regional tuition rate. The deadline is the last date available to register for courses in the semester for which you seek the residency change.  If it is received after this date, the effective date will be the following semester. Requests for retroactive reclassification for tuition purposes are not granted.

Denied Petitions

Should a petition be denied, an appeal may be filed with the university's Residency Board. Instructions on appeals are provided at the time the petition is denied. The appeal must be submitted no later than ten (10) working days from the denial letter.

Dream Act

University System of Maryland Nonresident Tuition Differential Exemption for Eligible Maryland High School Graduates

The University System of Maryland Nonresident Tuition Differential Exemption allows undocumented immigrants who graduated from a Maryland high school the opportunity to qualify for a tuition differential at public colleges and universities upon meeting certain eligibility requirements and submitting required documentation. Click HERE to see the requirements and application form. Please be aware that tax returns submitted must be the Comptroller’s copies of tax returns.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA students must complete the residency information form on their application when they apply to FSU. Once admitted, students should submit either a copy of their Employment Authorization Card (front and back) or a copy of their I-797.

Military and USM Employees

Military personnel, USM Employees, and their spouse/dependents may qualify for non-resident tuition exemption if they meet certain requirements. See the policy available on the Board of Regents website.

Residency Frequently Asked Questions