Frequently Asked Questions


How do I apply for graduation?

Once you have earned 80 credits, a pop-up window will appear in PAWS prompting you to apply for graduation. You should apply a year in advance. Please fill out the Undergraduate Change in Graduation Information form as soon as possible if:

  • You are planning to graduate during the current semester and have not yet applied.
  • You wish to change your graduation information after you have already applied.

Is there a report I can view to determine if I am on track for graduation?
Yes. You may view your Academic Requirement Report on your PAWS account.

Select Student Center>Degree Progress>My Academic Requirements

My Academic Requirements

Is demonstration of technology fluency required before I graduate?

Yes. Demonstration of technology fluency must be mastered by either passing the Test of Basic Information Technology Skills (BITS) or successfully completing ART 207, CHEM 304, COSC 100/110, COSC 101, COSC 220, EDUC 325, ENES 100, ENGL 438, GEOG 275, HPED 310, MCOM 205, MUSC 103, or NURS 404 with a “C” grade or better.  You can also take a departmental exam for COSC 100, 101, or GEOG 275.

How do I find out when the BITS test will be offered?
The Computer Science Department schedules the BITS test. Contact the departmental Administrative Assistant at 301-687-4364 for further information.

Can I include the credits earned from DVMT 095 or DVMT 099 (previously DVMT 100) towards my graduation hours?
No. Although DVMT counts towards a student’s semester workload, it does not fulfill the math core requirement for graduation. And, the credits earned cannot be used to fulfill the 120 hour minimum requirement for graduation.

Is it permissible to come back and complete a minor if I graduate?
No. If you wish to complete a minor, you must complete the minor at the same time you graduate.

What must I do if I want to request an exception to participate in a commencement ceremony?Students who have completed all course work other than an internship, field experience, capstone, or practicum that by design or circumstance must be completed during the summer term or the January intersession can request an exception to participate in a commencement ceremony by making a written request to the Registrar’s Office at least four weeks prior to the commencement ceremony. You must have a 2.0 cumulative FSU grade point average and a 2.0 cumulative FSU grade point average in your major at the time of request, as determined by the official degree audit performed by the Associate Registrar. Evidence must also be provided that you have enrolled in, and paid tuition for, the internship, field experience, capstone, or practicum that will meet the remaining requirements during the summer session immediately following May commencement or the January Intersession immediately following December commencement.

What requirements must I meet in order to be recognized for honors at graduation?
You must complete a minimum of 50 credits at Frostburg State University with the following cumulative grade point averages:

Cum Laude (3.400-3.649)
Magna Cum Laude (3.650-3.899)
Summa Cum Laude (3.900-4.000)

Honors recognition at graduation is based on total stats as of the beginning of your last semester, since final grading is incomplete at the time of the commencement ceremony.


As a continuing student, if I want to take a course off campus, what procedures should I follow?
An Authorization for Attendance at Another Institution form must be completed prior to enrollment for each course taken off campus. Keep in mind you can transfer no more than 70 credits from a two year institution or 90 overall credits. Upon completion of your course work, submit an official copy of your transcript to the Registrar’s Office to receive credit on your University transcript.

Why are my transfer credits not appearing on my transcript?
If you took courses prior to attending Frostburg, you should contact the Admissions Office.

If you took courses while attending Frostburg, you must contact the Registrar’s Office. In order to have your transfer credits entered into the system you must complete an Authorization for Attendance at Another Institution form. Upon completion, you should submit a copy of your official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office.


Can I get a “D” in a General Education Program course?
A grade of “C” or better is required to satisfy each Core Skills requirement. A “D” grade is acceptable for the Modes of Inquiry component of the GEP.

I took my General Education Program requirement math and received a “D” in this course. Can I take this course at another university to meet my requirement at FSU?
Yes. Core Skills requirements in which grades of CS, D, F, FX, or WF are awarded do not have to be repeated at Frostburg State University.


Am I eligible to register for courses?
In order to determine if you are eligible to register for classes, you should meet with your faculty mentor or university advisor and make sure you are activated for the upcoming term. Please keep in mind that certain holds may prevent you from registering. You can check your holds in PAWS by clicking on the details button under “Holds” on your Student Center.

How is residency determined?
Residency status is determined for first time entering students by the Office of Admissions. Students seeking a review of their residency status are required to complete a Residency Questionnaire. Once a student has enrolled, the residency status is determined by the Registrar’s Office. Students who wish to have a review of their residency status must complete the Residency Petition which can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or at the following link. 

How do I release my information to a third party?
In order to release information to a third party, you must fill out the release of information in your student center on your PAWS account.

Select Student Center>Academic Records>Release of Information
Release of Information

How do I restrict directory information released to another party?
You may choose to restrict the release of directory information by selecting the restrict option from your Student Center on your PAWS account.

Select Student Center>Personal Information>FERPA Restrictions>Edit FERPA/Directory Restrictions
FERPA Restrictions