Graduate Students

How to Apply for Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

To reapply for aid, all continuing students must complete a new FAFSA. Use Frostburg State's federal code 002072.

Frostburg State Code: 002072

Complete the FAFSA

Verification Process (if selected)

In certain cases, you may be asked to undergo the verification process, where you will be asked to submit additional documentation to the Financial Aid Office before receiving a financial aid package.

Read Your Student Aid Report (SAR)

Every student who files a FAFSA form receives a Student Aid Report (SAR). When you file your FAFSA electronically, you will receive an email from the U.S. Department of Education stating your FAFSA has been processed. The same email will include information on how you may view your SAR. Review the SAR and pay particular attention to the section entitled "SAR Comments." The SAR comments section will tell you if your FAFSA has any errors that need corrected or if you have been selected for verification. Reading the SAR comments immediately after processing a FAFSA is a good way to ensure that the financial aid process runs smoothly.

Any subsequent requests for information will be emailed directly to you. It’s important to meet the deadlines and to respond promptly to all additional requests for information.

Types of aid


A number of scholarship programs are available to graduate students. Several have been established through the Frostburg State University Foundation; others are made available by the state of Maryland, individual donors, businesses and corporations, and civic organizations.


An assistantship is a form of financial assistance provided to graduate students in support of the student’s program, through either research projects, teaching, or other activities.

Federal direct unsubsidized loans

Federal direct unsubsidized loans are non-need-based and accrue interest while a student is enrolled. To be eligible for federal student loans, you must be:

  • US citizens or permanent residents
  • Matriculated
  • Enrolled at least half time (six credit hours per term) in a degree-granting program

Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students can borrow a PLUS Loan to help pay for their education expenses as long as they:

  • Have already applied for their annual federal Direct Student Loans.
  • Are matriculated in a master’s or PhD program (certificate programs are excluded).
  • Are enrolled at least half time (at least 6 credit hours per term).

These loans have a fixed interest rate for the life of the loan.

Office of Financial Aid

  • Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • FAFSA: 002072